Friday, January 6, 2012

Happy New Year!

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season this "winter."

This season I got a new toy for my kitchen - a food dehydrator... oooOOOOOooo
It has been in full use these past few days, with my experimenting with different apple, zucchini, and kale chip recipes.
I dialed in a AMAZINGLY YUMMY kale chip recipe that i must must must share:

"cheesy" kale chips:

1. soak 1/2 cup raw cashews and 1/2 cup raw shelled sunflower seeds for atleast 2hours (I soak overnight) rinse well.
2. add the following to the blender:

  • the soaked cashews and sunflower seeds
  • the juice of one lemon
  • 4 tbsp apple cider vinegar (unpasteurized, "with the mother")
  • 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 2 tbsp light brown miso paste (the dark is too strong of flavor, and salty!)
  • 1-2 cloves fresh garlic
3. blend all ingredients until smooth
4. rip kale leaves from the spine and then into bite sized pieces
5. massage mixture into kale (use may use less sauce depending on how much kale you have)
6. place on dehydrator sheets
7. dehydrate on 105 for 6-7 hours, or until crispy. for those without a dehydrator, bake on lowest setting until cripsy (not sure of the timing here!)

***this sauce is also delicious as a salad dressing, veggie dip, or even as a spread

Hopefully you find it as tasty as I do!
In Health & Harmony,
-Nicole